Skip to content

Practical information for visas, residence permits and passports

Fold alle afsnit ud


A short stay visa allows you to stay in Denmark or other Schengen countries for up to 90 days within a period of 180 days. A residence permit gives you the opportunity to work in Denmark and to stay for more than 90 days.

Due to the visa/residence permit representation agreement among the Nordic countries, the Embassy of Sweden in Seoul represents Denmark for short stay visa applications. For questions regarding visas to Denmark, please contact the Embassy of Sweden in Seoul.

Residence permit

The Embassy of Norway in Beijing represents Denmark for residence permit applications. Thus, all applications should be submitted to VFS Global in Seoul who will forward the applications to the Embassy of Norway in Beijing. The processing of the application is handled by the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI).

Danish Passport

New passport:

Your current passport will be cancelled when the new one is handed out at the Embassy. If you hold visas in the old passport make sure you check with the representative of the countries in question, if the visas remain valid.

Please notify the Korean Immigration Service when you have collected your new passport. You could read the instructions on how to report the changes here.

International Marriage

To register marriage in Korea

Before you start the process, please make sure to contact the local district office (Gu-Cheong) you will register your marriage for information regarding documents needed to register your marriage in Korea.

One of the documents that is required at the local district office would be an Affidavit of eligibility for marriage (혼인요건 증명서) certified by the Embassy. In order to obtain an Affidavit from the Embassy, Danish bride/ bridegroom must submit a Certificate of marital status (Bopælsattest) stating that you are single status in the Danish civil registry.

How to order a certificate of martial status

You order the certificate of marital status digitally.

Remember to use NemID. You can pay for the certificate by Dankort, Visa, VisaElectron, Mastercard, Maestro and MobilePay.


Steps for getting married in Korea


  1. Danish citizen must bring a valid Danish passport and a Certificate of marital status to the Embassy. The Embassy will review the Certificate of marital status of the Danish bride/ Danish bridegroom and certify the Affidavit of Eligibility for Marriage. The fee for this service is 39.000 KRW. Only the Danish citizen needs to come to the Embassy for this step in the process.
  2. Translate the certified Affidavit in Korean and make sure to include the name, signature and the date of the translator.
  3. Both the bride and the bridegroom visit the local district office with the Affidavit and the translation along with the other documents required by the local district office to register your marriage.
  4. The local district office will issue the following:
  • a filing receipt on the day of report;
  • a verification certificate, which has similar effect as the Korean marriage certificate(3~5 days required); or
  • marriage certificate (family register), issued when the marriage is between a Korean citizen and a foreign resident alien (7 days required).

** Please note:  For a marriage between two foreigners, the verification certificate will be issued on the same day.

    Getting married in Denmark

For information about the documentation required to getting married in Denmark, the Embassy advice you to contact the municipality of residence or where the marriage is planned to take place.

Information on getting married in Copenhagen (in English) can be found on the municipality’s homepage here.

Social Security Agreement

On 1 September 2011, a Social Security Agreement between Denmark and the Republic of Korea came into force.

Danish nationals who are ported to work in the Republic of Korea for no more than 5 years will continue to be eligible for Danish pension while in the Republic of Korea. The agreement also ensures that Danish and Korean citizens can apply for early retirement or pension from the Republic of Korea.

Socia security while working in the Republic of Korea

If you are sent by your Danish employer to work in the Republic of Korea for 5 years or less, you will continue to be covered by the Danish laws on social security. This means that during your stay, you will continue to build your Danish pension and ATP, and you and your employer will be exempt from paying pension in the Republic of Korea. This agreement applies for deployment periods beginning on 1 September 2011 or later. If you have been sent to the Republic of Korea shortly before 1 September 2011, you can still apply to be included in the new Danish rules on social security.

The application form can be found by following the link on the bottom of this page.

Danish pension in the Republic of Korea

From the 1 September 2011, it is possible to apply for early retirement and pension if you live in the Republic of Korea. This is conditional to you being Danish or Korean, who from the age of 15, have lived in Denmark for at least 3 years. If you are a citizen of the Republic of Korea, you must have lived at least 3 years in Denmark and worked at least 12 months in Denmark.

Korean pension in Denmark

This agreement makes it possible to receive a Korean pension in Denmark. If you want to have your Korean pension paid in Denmark, please contact your county or pension board. After this, the Republic of Korea's authorities will process your application.

Social Security Agreement

Application Form Pensionsstyrelsen

Rejseklar app

Skal du rejse til udlandet - eller får du problemer derude? Så er der god hjælp at hente med Udenrigsministeriets gratis app "Rejseklar". Her findes gode råd og nyttige informationer til danskere som eksempelvis rejser i Sydkorea eller Nordkorea.

Her er 5 ting, du skal vide om Udenrigsministeriets gratis app "Rejseklar":

  1. Læs Udenrigsministeriets rejsevejledninger direkte i appen. Nye farver giver overblik over sikkerhedsforholdene i landet.
  2. Modtag push beskeder med info om hvad du kan gøre, hvis der pludseligt opstår en krise i det land, du er i.
  3. Tilmeld dig nemt Danskerlisten for det land du besøger. Så kan Udenrigsministeriets Borgerservice komme i kontakt med dig, hvis der opstår en større krise, f. eks. en naturkatastrofe, terrorangreb eller politiske uroligheder.
  4. Rejseklar-appen indeholder kontaktoplysninger til nærmeste danske ambassade eller konsulat, uanset hvor i verden du befinder dig.
  5. Rejseklar-appen indeholder info om bl.a. pas- og visumregler, og hvad du kan gøre, hvis du f.eks. bliver syg, udsat for røveri eller får problemer på rejsen.

Langt de fleste danske har ingen problemer, når de rejser ud i verden. Men engang imellem går det galt. Hvert år hjælper Udenrigsministeriets Borgerservice flere tusinde danskere, når uheldet er ude.

Hvis du har spørgsmål kan du sende en e-mail til

Appen ”Rejseklar” findes til smartphones og kan hentes gratis i App Store eller Google Play.



Consular FAQ

Where do I need to go to record my biometric features after submitting the residence and work permit application via VFS Global in Seoul

  • After submitting your application via VFS Global in Seoul, your passport and the application will be sent to the Embassy of Norway in Beijing, China but in the last instance processed by the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI). Once SIRI has reached a decision in your case and granted you a permit to Denmark, you will receive a decision letter from VFS Global in Seoul. On the letter, you would be able to find how to record your biometric features in Denmark and to obtain residence card.

What are the requirements for my passport when entering Denmark

  • Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months beyond your stay.
  • Your passport must contain at least 2 empty pages.
  • Your passport must have been issued within the last 10 years. A passport with a validity period exceeding 10 years cannot be used as travel documentation in Denmark beyond the first 10 years from the date the passport was issued. This also applies if the expiry date of your passport has been extended beyond a validity period of 10 years from the date it was issued.

What do I need to drive and rent a car in Korea

  • If you are residing (stays more than 90 days) in Korea, you could have the Danish driving license exchanged for Korean driving license.
    Please visit the Korea Road Traffic Authority for more information.
    If your stay in Korea is below 90 days, you need to hold both your Danish driving license and your International Driving Permit to rent a car and drive in Korea. Danish representations could assist with the application for International Driving Permit but the processing time is approximately 4 – 5 weeks.
Fold alle afsnit ud


Embassy of Denmark

+82 2 6363 4800