Skip to content

About Korea

Going to Korea? Here are some of the basics you need to know before visiting. In the "About Korea" section you will find a brief introduction to the country.

Notice on entry into Korea


As of April 1, 2022, registered foreign residents will be allowed re-entry into the Republic of Korea within one year (two years for permanent residents) from the date of departure without having to obtain a re-entry permit. Please refer to this link for more information.

Danes going to Korea should ensure that they have a valid passport, take out health insurance (the yellow or blue EU cards do not apply in Korea) and get the necessary vaccines prior to leaving.


For travel advice to Korea, the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs refers to the travel advice issued by other foreign ministries, which can be accessed here.

For information about passports and visa, please follow this link to the homepage of the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Credit cards and local currency
Credit cards (Visa, Amex, MasterCard, Diners Club, etc.) are widely accepted in Korea, but the Embassy recommends bringing Korean Won, exchanging or withdrawing money at the airport upon arrival (find a global ATM) in case of emergency, etc.

Other practicalities
Korea uses the 220V electricity standard as in Denmark with EU/German type plugs. Therefore, no need to bring transformers.

You can drink tap water in Korea, but it is not recommended. Normally water will be served at restaurants and most restaurants have a separate tap for drinking water. Furthermore, most big institutions and companies will have water dispensers.

Korea Immigration Service

As a foreigner staying in Korea you are obliged to report changes in alien registration matters under the Immigration Act of the Republic of Korea. This includes reporting changes such as passport number and expiry date. Read more here.


Embassy of Denmark

T: +82 2 6363 4800

F: +82 2 796 0986

E: [email protected]